Date/Time: Date(s) - 15/11/2017 - 06/12/2017 - All Day
Open Call for participation in the artistic residency programme
at Old Vinegar Factory
by Center of Performing Arts MITOS
The Center of Performing Arts MITOS announces the Open Call for participation in the residency programme theYard.Residency.18, which will take place during the period January – December 2018 at the Old Vinegar Factory in Limassol.
The programme runs for the eighth consecutive year and continues to support the artistic creation, new ideas, the dialogue between artists and audience, the exchange and communication between artists and motivates the artists themselves to take charge of their own productions. The programme aims to preserve a platform for performing arts at the Old Vinegar House and to encourage the redefinition of performing arts according to the needs of artists today and in line with the capacities of MITOS. The theYard.Residency.18 seeks proposals from young artists that need artistic or practical support and from experienced artists with fresh ideas from Cyprus or abroad. The program also calls organisations, that offer opportunities of participation in their own platforms and spaces in order to support exchange and mobility.
This year, the programme theYard.Residency.18 continues its’ 2017 structure divided in four categories. Furthermore, MITOS invests in its collaboration with Dance House Lemesos (activity Flash Dance) and in a new collaboration with SPACE in Nicosia, where two participations of this years’ residency will be chosen to perform there.
The categories of the theYard.Residency.18 are:
Ι. On stage – Professional performances of theatre, dance, performing art, that have already been presented in Cyprus or abroad. These works show innovation in direction, methodology and artistic form. For this category, the Old Vinegar House will act as a performing arts space that is offered for free along with its equipment for 5 days (2 days for setup and up to 3 days of performances). A technician will also be supplied for four hours on the first day. All income from the performances belongs exclusively to the artist(s) with a maximum entrance fee of €10.
ΙΙ. 24hr shot – Artistic actions from the fields of music, literature, theatre, dance, etc. An opportunity for experimentation or presentation of completed ideas. The Old Vinegar House will be available for up to 24 hours with the supply of a technician for the first three hours in the space. All income belongs exclusively to the artist(s) with a maximum entrance fee of €5.
ΙΙΙ. Residency – Artists that seek space for the making of a new work or developing existing ideas in the fields of theatre, dance, performance art, music and visual art. According to the projects selected a mentor will be chosen to work with the artists. The residency lasts for 10 days and on the last day the maker is required to present the outcomes, either publicly or to a selected audience, followed by a discussion. The Old Vinegar House along with its equipment will be supplied for free. All income belongs exclusively to the artist(s) with a maximum entrance fee of €5.
ΙV. Premiere – This category refers to proposals that the Center of Performing Arts MITOS will act as a co-producer. For these participations, the Old Vinegar House along with its equipment will be provided for a month of rehearsals, a premiere and up to 4 additional performances. The income out of these three performances belongs exclusively to the artist(s). This new category aims to support the performing arts scene and the artistic mobility.
For 2018, MITOS will collaborate with:
- a) The project “Our teacher is a troll” directed by Yorgos Kyriakos. After participating in the Residency category (2017), their results and the availability/passion of the actors MITOS decided to give the opportunity to complete the work as a theatrical performance.
- b) The project “Blood Red Roses” directed by Loukia Pieridou and Silvain Chevet, who also participated in this year’s Residency category. Their humor, imagination, action and warm reaction of the public made theYard creative team choose them to complete their performance.
The category Premiere offers:
- Free use of Old Vinegar Factory for 1 month, total 120 hours- premiere and up to 4 more shows. The final duration of hosting (number of days, dates and times) will be set between the participants and MITOS, depending on the needs of the proposal and the availability of the space.
- The performances can reach up to 5, depending on the needs of the creators.
- The program will provide technical assistance on the first day for 4 hours. For all the technical aspects of their production, participants must have their own technician for set up and execution.
- All income belongs exclusively to the artist (maximum ticket price of € 10).
The theYard.Residency programme is a platform for the active involvement of the participants. All makers, groups and organisations selected are free to express themselves artistically in any form and manner according to the category in which they were accepted and to act responsibly for their production. The proposals will be evaluated in line with their subject matter, form, methodology and approach. The selected proposals for the theYard.Residency.18 will be ensured:
- Free use of the Old Vinegar Factory, as mentioned above in each category. The final duration of the residency (number of days, dates and times) will be set between the participants and MITOS, depending on the needs of the proposal and the availability of space.
- Each proposal selected for the theYard.Residency.18 will be ensured free use of the technological equipment and infrastructure of the Old Vinegar Factory. The audience capacity of the space is approximately 60 people and the equipment is reported in detail in the Application Form.
- On the first day of their residency, participants will be informed about the operation of the Old Vinegar Factory and will be assisted by the theYard team to setup the space according to their needs. The participants are required to keep the space clean during their residency and return the space to its original standards and setup at the end of it.
- The program offers technical assistance at the start of a residency as mentioned above in the different categories. For all other technical needs with regards to the execution of the production, participants must acquire their own technician.
- Profits of events will belong exclusively to the participants themselves.
- Participants can apply for and claim grants for their production, but not for the services already offered by MITOS in the frame of the theYard.Residency.18. In the case of breach, the participation will be canceled. To facilitate applications for funding, MITOS may provide certificates of participation upon request.
- The program supports but is not responsible for the promotion of each production. Each participant is responsible for the promotion of their own event.
- The theYard.Residency.18 offers a simple audiovisual recording of the work for archival purposes in dvd format.
- For artists from abroad, there is no possibility to cover transportation tickets or accommodation expenses. MITOS will help with translations of texts relating to their participation, their transportation, as well as the provision of any relevant information regarding their stay in Cyprus.
- If the participant does not keep the timetables and deadlines that are requested from MITOS, then their participation will be canceled.
How to apply:
The deadline for the proposals is Wednesday, 6th of December 2017, at 23:59. For the proposal to be valid, the applicant must sent the completed ‘application form’ with all the requirements which you can find in MITOS’ below. The application can be sent via email to theYard.Residency@mitos.org.cy, with the title: for participation in theYard.Residency.18. Audiovisual material that cannot be sent electronically, it can be posted to the address: Centre of Performing Arts MITOS, theYard.Residency.18, Astiggos 1, 3016 Limassol, Cyprus.
Elena Agathocleous – Program Coordinator
Loukas Walewski – Old Vinegar House manager
Constantina Peter – production
Eleana Alexandrou – hospitality
The applications will be evaluated by a four-member committee and results will be announced by email by the 20th of December 2017.
For questions and requests of more information please contact Mitos via the email: theYard.Residency@mitos.org.cy.